Saturday, January 9, 2016

Shaun's surgery...

 I'm so behind in blogging but early December (right after thanksgiving) Shaun started getting horrific side pain. He had several "attacks" and we just couldn't figure out what it was from. He went to the doctor and they did an ultra sound... lots of gallstones. So he was referred to a surgeon but the soonest they could have a consultation was several weeks later. 
Well, before that appointment even happened Shaun had another severe attack which put him in the ER. Monday morning we were in the hospital waiting our turn for the surgery! My babysitter that watches the girls while I teach piano volunteered to watch them so I could be there. Little did we know it when we left the house at 7:30 am we wouldn't be returning until 9 pm. :/


 Finally got into a room...I didn't realize how stressed I was about all of this. And in my haste to get out the door left my phone on the counter. My sweet neighbor brought me my phone and I just started crying. She is so much like an angel in our lives all of the time! Shaun's phone was almost dead and I didn't want to be without a lifeline.
Before going into surgery... 
They finally took him back around 3 and by 5 I could go and see him. The doctor came in and gave me a report. Oddly enough, his gallbladder wasn't in the "normal" area. Instead of being down by closer to the top of the hip bone, it was up by his ribs. May explain why it wasn't functioning properly!
After surgery, he was saying some funny things, of course, but I felt bad because he was pretty sick when he woke up. Usually they discharge them about 45 mins after they wake up, but it took Shaun a couple hours. I was worried he would have to stay the night. 
By now it's going on 7 pm. My poor babysitter who is pregnant and has her 2 yr old there I'm sure was exhausted. I called my neighbor and she came over to relieve her. We made it home about 9 after picking up prescriptions and crackers.
Another friend had dropped off a yummy dinner for us too! So sweet! 
I knew everything would be fine, but I still worried a lot more than I wanted too. We are grateful for all the help we received.
Shaun was able to take the week after off of work to recover. It was a rough week for me. He couldn't do any lifting (of even kate) and I even had to help him sit himself up in bed. He was great to follow the rules...I think I make a better patient than care taker. :( 
we are happy to report, that Shaun has 0 complications and is now back to normal! (some people have crazy complications after getting their Gallbladder out.)

No comments: