...Weeks before we left on our trip I was telling a lot of people that we were going to "Shaun's graduation." A week before we left Claire kept asking, "Are we at Shaun's graduation?" I kept asking her who Shaun was and she didn't know. It was pretty funny!
Our bags were packed and we were ready to go!
Shaun missed the deadline to officially "walk" in commencement by a week. We weren't sure if we would be returning to Ohio for graduation or not. When they posted the date of it, December 21st, and Shaun looked at his work calendar it all seemed to align perfectly. We planned on flying but with trying to get to my sister's house to spend Christmas in NY it was just way too expensive. So we drove! We rented a van so we wouldn't be so crammed. It was our saving grace!
Long story short...loaded the corolla to the ceiling and picked up our rental van in Jackson at the airport...in the pouring rain transferred our stuff and children as quickly as possible into the van. left our car at the USDA office in Jackson and this process only took us 2.5 short hours. :(
This is us loaded down! I was hold this huge pot of food! It's tricky to travel with a Gluten Free girl...I tired to be prepared.
In the van loving the space!
First night we drove to Alabama! The next night we drove to Cincinnati, Ohio and stayed with Shaun's former roommate Jess and his family. I can't believe I didn't get one picture while we were at there house.
Dec 21st Happy First Birthday Kate & Happy Graduation Day Dad!
This day was quite eventful in every sense of the word. We drove the 2 hours that morning to Columbus, Ohio. Shaun had a practice at 10 am and the ceremony was at 1 pm. About 15 minutes before we got to Columbus Claire started coughing and coughed so hard she threw up all over herself and her car seat.We got her changed and cleaned up and decided to walk around the building for the short 30 min rehearsal. The rehearsal lasted an hour and 15 mins. The girls were getting tired and hungry. Thankfully Kate fell asleep in the stroller and Claire was being pretty mellow.
After rehearsal we raced over to meet with Shaun's former boss/mentor for lunch. We ate at a restaurant called North Star. So delicious! We enjoyed catching up with them.
After lunch we raced back to the graduation venue. I dropped Shaun off and drove around trying to part. I told Claire, "We need to find a parking spot so we can go to daddy's graduation." her response was, "mom, lets just keep driving around."
The commencement ceremony was packed. They only have ONE for the entire university! I was geared up for a solid three hours with the girls, by myself. Claire was still feeling pretty sick so I pushed her in the stroller, while carrying Kate and our bags. Several people commented on me having my hands full.
By the time we got in the only open seating was the third level. Once we got up there they would not allow strollers...
Anyway, we finally get settled in our seats and Kate starts screaming, then Claire was upset because the ipad didn't have volume on.
We struggled through the "prayer" Which was anything but a prayer. And then the first speaker. I was trying to nurse Kate and keep Claire happy with stickers but it just wasn't happening. Plan B... Pack everything up and walk around. We were just disrupting by sitting there. As I was trying to grab everything a sweet woman came and said, "can I help you so you don't drop something or someone." haha YES!
So Kate got her turn to ride in the stroller and fell asleep.
So despite all the craziness that it sounds like, I was still so glad we were there. As they started calling names I went into one of the walk up parts and showed just in time to get pictures and see Shaun get hooded and walk. It was such a tender mercy! After that part I knew we could just keep walking around and listening.
Claire was excited to get some popcorn and that kept her happy for awhile.
The end... By the end of it Claire and Kate were both crying. It was almost comical because there was nothing I could do and people were looking at me like, "don't you know your children are crying."
Our sick girl trying to stick it out
Such a happy moment! Of course it's even better that we already settled in a job, but it was great to be there!
Michelle Jones- Shaun's boss/mentor. It was awesome to have her there.
We missed having family there with us, but it just wasn't practical for everyone to fly into Ohio (A place that we don't even live anymore) for a 3 hour ceremony and then just leave.
My birthday girl and graduate!

No comments:
Post a Comment