Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving this year was very unique and definitely one we will remember. 
It started out Wednesday. Shaun got off work at noon! We were so excited we couldn't wait! The nearest flu shot clinic for the girls was in Jackson so we planned to go get the girls' shots so he could help me and then do some shopping. (I tried to go to a local clinic and waited 3.5 hours in a filthy place...long story). 
Anyway, after naps we drove to the clinic. When we got out of the car I noticed it was smoking. There was black smoke coming out of our hood. :( 
Shaun called his dad and then found a local mechanic. So I stayed with the girls to get shots and he went to have them look at our car. 
We needed a new radiator. We had a big hole in ours. Thankfully the mechanic was able to fix it in a few hours so we didn't have to rent a car for the weekend. It was a long afternoon for the girls and I in the waiting room but we are counting our blessings that it turned out okay. We ran a few errands but were worn out from since a long and expensive afternoon. That night we just crashed. 

Thanksgiving in Mississippi is really warm. It's been in the high 50s-60s. Today was even 75 degrees. Crazy! It's been awesome to get out and go for walks. 
Besides the lovely flu shots the girls have been fighting colds this week. Kate had a fever of 103.8 and then caught Claire's nasty cold. This was the best picture I could get. Kate is mid sneeze. Haha 
Enjoying the parade! Kate loved snuggling with mom during the dog show. Wednesday night I told Claire about the exciting parade. and all the balloons. She said, "I want a purple one and green one." I had to tell her we weren't getting balloons just watching them. it cracked me up. 
While we watched the parade Shaun slaved away in the kitchen. He loves to cook so he was enjoying his time in there. When we first moved here a few ladies from church asked what our plans for thanksgiving were. I told them we didn't have plans...their response was, "I'm sure someone will invite you over." haha. We have laughed about that. We tried to invite a family over but they already had plans. It turned out better to just stay home since the kids were under the weather. 
THEN...
Then...when I was reading stories to Claire, Kate crawled into the kitchen and was playing by Shaun. Our oven door doesn't get hot so in the past we have let Kate play on the floor in the kitchen. Well, we didn't realize when you open the bottom drawer of the oven the metal strip gets boiling hot. Kate put her hand in there and sure enough she burned her little fingers. OUCH! She has NEVER screamed like this before. I felt terrible. 
Kate sure had a rough first thanksgiving. Just when we thought she would catch a break we noticed she also had two top teeth trying to push through. Serious! So her first thanksgiving can be summed up as: fever, cold, flu shot, burned fingers, and new teeth. 
A highlight for Claire was making chocolate pudding with dad! 
The Chef! Tasting is a must! 
Living in the South we decided we would try and have a true southern pie. Sweet potato pie. People claim it is better than pumpkin. verdict... stick to pumpkin 
Unfortunately Shaun caught the same nasty cold the girls had. So since Thursday night he has been pretty down and out. I did talk him into getting the Christmas stuff out. There is something magical about putting up the Christmas decorations.  
We have so much to be grateful for! I'm so thankful that I haven't gotten sick and have been able to hold down the fort! We are also so grateful for this wonderful opportunity we have to be where we are! For FHE we did thankful turkeys. I asked Claire to tell me things/people she is thankful for. Here is her list: 
friends (her stuffed animals), parks, library, kate, mommy school, toys, stick, shows, chase (she loves to run around with us chasing her), mom & dad, Heavenly Father. Some of her answers were prompted. But a lot of them were not. 
Shaun's Turkey: 
mom, Claire, Kate, My career & financial situation, that my clothes are magically cleaned each week, that nicolette lets me cook and buy cooking stuff, our fast computer, lots of space for family walks, health, my wife being a great example of love, and church  
Nicolette's turkey: 
Family, sister, library, Shaun, dishwasher, washer/dryer, health, beautiful place to live, that I get to stay home with kids, Jesus and Heavenly Father. 
I think this is a tradition I want to keep doing! 
Here's to everyone getting healthy so we can enjoy the Christmas festivities the next few weeks! 

No comments: