Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Shaun's a Law Breaker

Since I finished my finals yesterday and Nicolette is at school, I've decided it's time for me to post again.

I've determined that Provo police have nothing better to do than give out parking violations. I'm beginning to think that the entire city is built on the backs of paid parking tickets. They've done nothing to fix their parking problems; my parents remember having parking issues when they attended BYU decades ago. Action to correct the parking problems would stop Provo's revenue. (Okay, it's not really that bad. Mainly I'm just bitter that I lost the bragging rights to driving eight years accident free without even getting pulled over.) I got my first parking tick
et. Luckily they don't appear on your driving record.

I had to pay $30 dollars because I parked within 15' of a fire hydrant that was next to a dirt field. I know, the dirt may have spontaneously combusted in December and may have even burned Provo to the ground. I thought I was safe be
cause the curbing was red-lined for about 8' from the hydrant until the curb dipped for what will someday be an entrance to an apartment complex. I also see someone parked there daily. I bet that violators have complained hundreds of times that the curb is not red-lined out to 15'. That spot just makes Provo too much money for city officials to care.

Frankly, I had completely forgotten the exact distance a car must be from a hydrant. To remind everyone of the pa
rking rules they have forgotten from Driver's Ed, here's the checklist printed on the parking ticket to expedite ticket writing and prevent hand-cramping:

1. Blocking a Driveway - $25
2. 15' of a Fire Hydrant - $30
3. 20' of a Crosswalk or Intersection - $25
4. Parking on Sidewalk - $30
5. Painted Line/Curb/Sign Violation - $30

6. Red Curb - $30 (I don't see how this is different from number 5; maybe it's an attempt to create a list of 10 violations.)

7. Time Restriction - $25
8. Registration/Plate violation - $30 (Yes, they did forget to capitalize violation.)
9. Disability Space Violation - $125
10. Facing Traffic or 12" From Curb - $30

Don't worry I promptly paid Provo City their $30 dollars, and they made it simple. Just log onto www.payprovo.com. They accept BOTH Visa and Mastercard.

Drive safe in the snow, and mind where your park :)

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Cuh-razy! You parked by that fire hydrant?! And got a ticket for it?

It doesn't even look like it's in use.

I will never see you with the same eyes, Shaun. I'm both shocked and appalled! :)

marquita chiquita said...

haha! Is that the real fire hydrant? If the cone on its head was red it would really look like Provo city is decked for the holidays.

Hey! Also, we are back in Utah now and we would love to see you and Nicolette!

Brandt Lovell said...

great assumption. just so you know, I listen to 1160 in the morning during my drive to Murray each morning to work, and Provo surpassed it's budget by over 22% this year just by violations and ticketing. to put that number in perspective I believe that it was around $165,000 additional dollars HIGHER than originally anticipated just in the ticketing and fining 'budget' of the city. you are right....anyways, good luck with not getting tickets!