Thursday, April 11, 2013

Happy Birthday Shaun!

Shaun's birthday was on April 6th. Since he was going to be out on his birthday we celebrated a little before and after. I decided to take in a cake to his lab. Thankfully I told him prior so I didn't have to keep it a surprise. He requested I make a new recipe he found for a coconut cake.
The first time I made the cake I was so excited because everything was going so smoothly. The batter tasted amazing and it cooked great. Unfortunately although I followed the directions Shaun failed to mention that I should line the cake pans before cooking because the cake would most likely stick.
Sure enough. As you can see it came out in pieces. :(  
 
 
Later that night I made round #2. It came out much better. Shaun had already agreed to cut the layers and make the frosting. Look how beautiful it turned out.
 
 
 
 
 
 
This is Shaun enjoying his last piece after the trip. Even though I put it in the freezer while he was gone it was dry. The other sad thing about this cake was the amount of butter the frosting called for.
Even though I only had a small piece, my stomach couldn't handle it I ended up not keeping the cake down. Sadly, I can't even look at this cake now without feeling sick to my stomach. So sad!
 
Where was Shaun?
 Shaun had such a *rough* birthday. He had to spend it in California looking at cool plants. :)
He got to visit 13 different companies and see their latest and greatest.
It was also a great networking opportunity for future jobs!  
 
We definitely missed Shaun on his birthday and I know he missed us, but California isn't such a bad way to spend your day. In the evenings they got to check out the beach and local attractions.
Happy Birthday Shaun!
 

No comments: