Friday, August 10, 2012

Projects: Trophy Case

When Shaun and I moved into our town home the first priority was fixing up the kitchen and bathrooms. The basement was painted and got some new carpet but there was one thing we didn't know what to do with...the trophy case.  
 Above is the picture our Realtor took. The former tenants apparently had quite the selection of hats and neon Budweiser signs. 

When we painted the basement, oh about a year and a half ago, we were very tired of the remodeling projects so the "trophy case" has been like this since. I wouldn't have painted on the mirrors had I known we would be looking at it for so long. Haha 
By the way, the mirrors were glued onto the cement wall right behind this. They weren't even straight. Yikes!

Well, I told Shaun that this summer it had to get done. We thought about ripping it out but we would have to replace the entire wall. Since we really didn't want a huge project on our hands, and since we don't have an Olympic Gold metals to display, we decided to make it into a decorative shelf. 

Our JoAnn's was moving across town and had all of their fabric 75% off. I LOVED this orange. 
Shaun found a piece of particle board the exact size of the back so he stapled the fabric onto the board. BRILLIANT   
I did all of the detail work. As you can see there was a huge gap between the boards. I got to putty, paint, and finish this baby.  

AHH...so much better. 
Don't mind the pile of bedding to the right. I was getting ready for our company. 

 I have been playing around with decorations that I have on hand. This is not completely how it will stay, but it is a good start. 

 The benches and pillows are from my teaching days. I love all the fun colors! 
It will be a perfect sitting area for my three piano students. :) 

While we were sorting out the basement Shaun reorganized our storage room. I LOVE when everything has a place! 

We've been pretty busy lately so more blogposts coming soon. :) 

2 comments:

Kari said...

Awesome! Such a cute idea! I love the fabric behind the shelves. It all looks much better than beer signs. :) I know, I wish our trips would've crossed. I almost texted you before I left, but I remembered seeing our your blog that you had people coming to visit, so I was pretty sure you weren't in Idaho. Have a fun trip though!

Michelle@ Learning to Be a Mom said...

That looks so good! Although I will miss the mirror with the paint on it.