Thursday, April 12, 2012

Utah/Idaho trip part 1

March 20th -April 3rd

Claire and I flew out early March 20th. It was a very long day of traveling. Claire did amazingly well considering all of the factors involved. The craziest part was our plane ride from Atlanta to Utah. It was over 4 hours long. She is so good about sleeping in her crib I have a hard time getting her to sleep for longer than 20 minutes in my arms. Well, we took off and I got her to sleep. YEAH! We were sitting next to a really nice guy from Georgia going to Jackson Hole. He had two young boys of his own and was loving Claire. She was smiling a ton for him. The craziest part of the flight was about an hour into it. Claire had woken up and then started crying. I changed positions and realized she had a BLOW OUT clear up her back. :(  Thankfully the seat belt sign was turned off so I could take care of it. I went into the lavatory and there was not a changing table. So I put a blanket over the closed toilet seat and put her down. She is really into rolling lately so this was quite the task. Not a moment sooner after I had her diaper undone we hit some turbulence. So now I was trying to not get motion sick on top of  keeping a poopy active baby safe. Thankfully I was able to quickly take care of the problem and then sat her on my lab to dress her. During that time as I was bending down to get her sock off the floor I accidentally hit the call button. The stewardess came about 7 minutes later when I was done.
I sat back down in my seat and the kind man that was sitting next to me said how he noticed that the call light had gone on while I was in there. He was afraid I had hit my head or something and it was all I could do to get help. So he flagged down the stewardess and then she came to my help. What a nice guy. He was really looking out for me, which I appreciated. I learned some really cool things about him and his family. They were high school sweethearts and she actually had a heart attack while taking her nursing boards. She was in a comma for a few days and when she came out she said that she met God and that in two years she would have a child. Almost to the day she had a child. Great family.

Anyway, we arrived to Utah with Claire covered in rashes. Apparently the circulated air on the airplane did a number on her skin. I immediately got the benedryl out of the luggage and within two hours she was much better.Thank goodness! (I'm glad I packed everything under the sun just in case.)

Claire did awesome with so many new people. She didn't have stranger anxiety at all. She loved the attention for sure!

Grandma and Grandpa Broderick 
Aunt Beth took us to Kneaders! Yummy! 
Do you like my new shades? 

We LOVED seeing all of the Broderick family again! They sure spoiled Claire with some new darling clothes and lots of attention. It was pretty rough the first 24 hours trying to get Claire adjusted to the time change, especially since we just had daylight savings a week earlier. But the family was very helpful in holding and cuddling this tired girl. 
They also spoiled me! I got to eat at Cafe Rio, PF Changs, and Kneaders! Pretty much my three favorite places in Utah. Plus, I really enjoyed the time catching up with everyone. Charlotte and I even got to take a walk during the afternoon in the beautiful sunshine! It was great! 

My mom and brother came and picked us up Thursday. 
On our way out of town I met up with my friend Bonnie, and her cute girl Millie. It has been years since we have seen each other. It was so fun seeing her again! 

On our way to Idaho we stopped in Bountiful to see my Great Grandma who is 99 years old. Claire was getting pretty tired by this point but she still did pretty well to let GGrandma hold her. It was great to be in Utah! Maybe next time we can stay longer so we can see more of you that we miss so dearly! 

Part II: Idaho coming soon 

1 comment:

Kari said...

How fun that you got to see Bonnie!! Glad you survived the plane trip... Those are no fun!