In fact, I haven't found a store brand that I like. Today while at the store, I purchased a "Real French Vinaigrette" made by Briannas Home Style. It sounded "home made" and I was in the mood for a good refreshing vinegrette. This 12 oz. bottle cost $3.99. With a price like that I thought it must be good.
I made up a spinach salad and put a little of this dressing on top. It was SO strong/tangy that my tongue had that tingly feeling it gets right before it goes numb in the dentist office. It had way too much vinegar in it. (UPDATE: I tried it again on day 2 and only added about 2 teaspoons on 3 cups of spinach leaves. It tasted great, and didn't burn on the way down).
So am asking you if you know of a good brand of salad dressing that is flavorful, but a little lighter on the "tang".
If you don't know of a good brand, do you have a good recipe? The reason I was looking for store bought was because I, by myself, can't finish my homemade stuff before it goes bad.
Here's our family recipe for buttermilk Ranch Dressing. It is so easy to make and so worth it. Even poeople that hate both buttermilk and mayonnaise love this stuff. Don't try it though if you ever want to be able to go back to store bought salad dressings.
BEST EASY BUTTERMILK DRESSING...EVER!
1 cup (8 ounces) Hellmann's or Best Foods, or Burman's Original Mayonnaise. (other brands like Kraft are terrible in this recipe, don't substitute.)
1 cup (8 ounces) buttermilk
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon dried minced onions
I put the weight measurements in because this makes it super fast to make and clean up. Getting out that kitchen scale will save you a ton of time.
Best made the day before to thicken up and flavors to meld. If you want to make it extra special, you can use all fresh herbs and species (just don't put in quite as much). You can substitute the dried minced onion and onion power with a minced scallion. Should last about 7-10 days in the fridge.
That's a lot of dressing!
No comments:
Post a Comment