Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Mrs. Broderick Returns


I want to share an experience that has really strengthened me the last few days. So you all know how bummed out I was about not getting a teaching job. I was finally starting to accept the fact that my future was at the mercy of being a substitute. Well, out of the blue there was a job listing for a par time math coach for 4th and 6th graders. I wasn't too interested because I didn't feel that qualified but I decided to apply just because the school name had a nice ring to it. Well, I NEVER expected to get an interview but on Friday I was emailed for an interview time on Tuesday. I was freaking out. What did I even apply for? I had to re-read the description and I was really temped to just cancel my interview. me teach 4th and 6th grade math... but Shaun gave me a pep talk about how I can do things out of my comfort zone if I really want to, but then he left the decision up to me.
For some reason I felt very confidant and peaceful about applying for the position despite the job description.

The interview came. I had to present a 15 minute lesson on an assigned Ohio standard and then in a different room I was asked a series of questions. I felt like I could completely be myself and that things would work out how they were supposed to.

During the interview portion the job description was clarified and it was actually for a 1st-3rd grade math coach job. Really? I wouldn't have to teach 4th & 6th grade math? That is even better!

Well, I was called in for a second interview this morning from the assistant superintendent and that was pretty rough. I thought for sure he wasn't too interested in hiring this out of stater. (He seemed like he wasn't having a very great day.)

But at lunch time I received a call from the Principal and I got the job!!
I start TOMORROW! WOW!

I truly believe when you follow your impressions that everything works out for you even if the task at hand seemed less than desirable. I am grateful for this miracle in my life!
Thank you everyone for your prayers!



10 comments:

Rachel said...

That is such a neat experience. Thanks for sharing and congratulations! I hope it all goes well.

Bombshell Char said...

I'm really really happy for you that you got a teaching job. Yahoo!!

Laura said...

Holy Cow! Thats amazing! You are so qualified and they definitely picked the right person. Wasn't your masters in Math Ed.? Way to go!

Lesley said...

I knew something great would work out! And thanks so much for the little note you wrote me the other day- you seriously made my whole week. i wish everyone was as kind as thoughtful as you are.

Hope you are enjoying your new job!

rplatt said...

I am so happy for you!!! I hope that you and Shaun are loving Ohio as much as I did. Someday I'd love to hear some stories. In the meantime I'll try to do better and keeping in touch and keeping updated on your lives through your blog. Take care, and I hope you both have a great weekend.

Chelsea Haydock Smith said...

oh my! Congratulations! That is such exciting news, and a wonderfully expiring experience!

Brooke said...

Congats! That is so great. I am really excited for you. You will have to keep us posted on how the school is, the kids, etc... Can't wait to hear what is to come!

Amy said...

Yay!!! I am so excited for you Nicolette. You will be fabulous as a math coach. What a great use of your master's degree. Congratulations!

Christy Lou said...

So excited for you :) That really is the most perfect job, and in the perfect location too!
It was so much fun to see you guys and all the fun projects you are working on - your zucchini muffins were a life saver, the perfect driving snack! Thanks a million and a half for all your kindness, and good luck with your new adventures!

Whitney said...

Yay! Congratulations. I am so happy for you. Those kids are lucky to have you as their teacher.