Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thank you Truck Drivers!


Shaun and I made it to Ohio. It was quite the task moving all of our stuff across the country! Definitely not something I want to do again for awhile. But mostly we have truck drivers to that that we made it in one piece. Boyd Bills (Shaun's former roommate) is also moving to Ohio so we shared a moving truck. It was nice having two main drivers even though I did drive through a lot of Kansas. Ü

So the second main day of driving Boyd started following this truck. He seemed to know the road really well and was directing us away from big pot holes, etc. We stopped at the same rest stop and Boy'd got to chat with him. He said he noticed we were following him so he started leading us. It really helped during a stressful time of driving. This was the truckers last trip before he was retiring. He said he had driven 10 million miles in his life. (Shaun figured out that his miles are equivalent to him driving to and from the Moon 21 times. CRAZY!) Very nice guy, though.

The first day we stayed with my aunt in Colorado. (sorry forgot to pull the camera out.)
The second night we stayed with Shaun and Boyds' former roommate Thomas. Thomas made us some very yummy pizza!

This is Boyd checking our truck. Our truck had a split personality. We are pretty sure there was a major electrical problem because sometimes it wouldn't get up past 40 MPH. And sometimes the AC would blow through the defrost vents instead of the main vents. Crazy!!

Since we were such a big load (26 footer truck + my car tagging behind) we had to fill up at some trucker spots. They were always very helpful in showing us how their pumps worked.

Loving Life and Each Other!

Then we got to stay with Jess and Melissa in Indiana. (This is not a picture from the trip.) I was so tried by this day the camera didn't make it out again. :( They were so hospitable! So fun to see our friends. It was nice having something to look forward to at the end of each day.

One more reason I want to thank truck drivers... On our last day of driving out of nowhere our trailer hitch came off without us even knowing. So our trailer (That was towing the car) was dragging along the freeway. Yikes! A trucker honked at us and I said, "oh they are so nice, they are just saying hello." But, really the trucker had to swing in the other lane and get our attention so we would pull over. We are so grateful that my car was safe and that the trailer was still in one piece. What a scary feeling!

I really felt like the Lord was looking out for us. I appreciate all of the kind people who made our trip great! I think I can consider myself a pioneer now. JK

We are happy to be here and even though our new town home needs a lot of work we are excited for this new adventure. More posts coming soon on the Ohio/house adventure so far!!

4 comments:

Kari said...

So glad you made it safe! What crazy adventures you had!!

Too bad we already moved from Iowa because I'm sure you drove right past our old exit!

Bombshell Char said...

Hooray for being home! Now the fun stuff can start. Good luck with remodeling/personalizing!

Christy Lou said...

So happy you made it in one piece and have arrived safe and sound - looks like you had some crazy adventures! They make some great stories, but I think I would have been traumatized!! Hope everything is great and you get lots of sleep. Have fun getting settled in! I can't wait to read more :)

Allison and Boyd said...

Thank you for taking such good care of Boyd! I'm really glad he went out with you guys! It was comforting to know that he was with you guys and not just by himself! I'm glad you guys made it safely and that the people in Ohio are being nice to you! I guess we'll be seeing you soon!