With drought changing the way we consume water, more and more people are turning to plants that are drought tolerant.Penstemon are great plant for the job. In June I visited Ely Nevada for the APS meetings and found that these plants were growing happily in the desert and blooming like crazy. I am working with some treatments to hopefully improve these plants so that they can bloom longer, have bigger, more brilliant flowers, and have stronger fragrance.
To do this my coworkers and I are using a couple of different methods. For the first treatment, we put a chemical on the plants that disrupts cell division. The chromosomes can't divide evenly so cells will end up with twice as many chromosomes. In other words, we are doubling the DNA. This has created some unusal looking plants.
Here is a normal Penstemon:
The light blue dots are chromosomes. There are thirty two dots instead of the normal sixteen that would be in a normal Penstemon.That last thing we're working on is just causing little (or point) mutations throughout the DNA using a chemical. It's a shot gun approach and you can't be sure of what you will get. Here is a picture of a treated plant that has two leaves that are fused together. (They form a "V" shape).
3 comments:
Yay Shaun that's really cool. I'm glad I have friends as smart as you.
wow, that is pretty cool and technical!
That's really cool, I'm glad you get to do something you enjoy so much! :)
Post a Comment