Friday, August 15, 2008

Rice Pudding


Two weeks ago Shaun and I were at his parent's house eating Hawaiian haystacks. The rice tasted SO good! I usually like rice but that night it tasted amazing. At that point all I wanted was some rice pudding! I haven't had my mom's rice pudding in years but I was craving it like nothing else! (Despite what you may be thinking these are definitely not pregnancy cravings.)

We didn't have the right kind of rice so I had to wait until Monday to pick some up. I made it that night and ate the entire batch in one week. I did share a little with Shaun but I probably ate 90%. The crazy part was at the end of the week I still wanted more. Don't worry I finally had a little self control and didn't make a second batch...but maybe I will soon. Ü

My mom was out of town so I couldn't get her recipe but I found a Yummy one in the Test Kitchen Cook Book. If you are in the mood here is a fabulous recipe!

Recipe: Simple Stovetop Rice Pudding
Serves 6 (or 1 in my case)
I doubled the recipe and it made a lot!

Any brand of long grain rice except Jasmine & Basmati

2 cups water
1 cup long grain rice
1/4 tsp Salt
4 cups milk
2/3 cup sugar
1 3/4 tsp vanilla extract

1. Bring water to a boil in a larg sausepan. Stir in rice and salt. Cover, turnthe heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the water is almost fully absorbed. 15-20 mins.
2. Microwave the milk until steaming , 1 to 2 minutes. stir the hot milk and sugar into rice and bring to a slow simmer. Cook, uncovered and stirring often, until the mixture is thick and a spoon is just able to stand up in the pudding, about 45 minutes.
3. Off the heat, stir in the vanilla. Let the mixture cool slightly before serving or refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours, and serve cold.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Sarah Blackhurst said...

Yummy Nicolette! Maybe the prego person will have to try it out! :)

Sarah Blackhurst said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marquita chiquita said...

sounds very yummy!

Amber Winward said...

Nicolette!!!! Becky just called me and told me about your blog and I had to come over and check it out. I've been thinking about you a lot lately and how you're doing. So glad to see you are doing well and look just as fabulous!!!
CHeck out my blog- www.albumsbyamber.blogspot.com and email me when you get the chance so we can catch up k?!!!
winwards4@comcast.net

Amber (Bradley) :)

Laura said...

Sounds great! I'll have to give it a try!