The unexpected miscarriage:
Right before
mother’s day we found out I was pregnant. I don’t usually get too sick and with
everything under way with our new house we were excited and planning for the
future.
I went in
for my first appointment and I was about 8 weeks pregnant. Shaun was with me
and I had confided in the RS president so she would watch my girls.
When we were
sitting in the waiting room for hours I was just checking facebook, etc. and
read an article my friend posted about miscarriages. Little did I know that it
was preparing me for the unexpected. But all the while feeling a lot of peace.
We finally
got back for the ultra sound and the technicians face said it all. It was only
measuring about 6 weeks and they couldn’t find a heartbeat. When I met with the
doctor she explained that things were not looking good, but that she wasn’t
sure yet. My period before I got pregnant was longer and so that could’ve
thrown off the dates. I continued to feel great peace through this time.
Anyway,
after blood work (days later) and more blood work/ Appointment the following
week It was confirmed that the baby had not grown any and my HCG levels were
dropping. The ultra sound was showing abnormal things on my right side-possibly
being a tubal pregnancy. So after discussing things with the doctor the best
solution was a D&C and laparoscopy…the next day.
Well, living
out here away from my family can be very hard. My mom was here the week prior
and watched the girls during my appointment. She was home now and I wasn’t sure
the best plan. We decided that Shaun would take the day off work, drop me off
and then come pick me up after I was awake. He would spend the day with the
girls.
Janie, the
main secretary at the station, was planning on taking Thursday and Friday off
for just a change of pace. She’s in her 50’s and has never been able to have
children. She called the night before and asked the plan. While talking with
her she insisted on driving me up and staying with me. I thought about it and
although I don’t like putting people out I felt like that would be good.
Since I was
a last minute add in on the surgery list they told me to come at 8 am and then
they would fit me in. …well, I got registered, set up with an IV and bed at 10
am and didn’t go into surgery until 4:45 pm. It was quite the day. I was SO
grateful to have Janie there. We have become friends from walking on the
station. In the past whenever I brought up the church she kind of changed the
subject. But while we were stuck in this room together I started asking her
questions about the Baptist church. We ended up having a very long, open
discussion about church, life, hard things, etc. It was really great!
The surgery
went well. There was a cyst on my right tube which was causing the confusion in
the ultrasound. The cyst was removed and everything looked good.
Physically
it is nice to not be dealing with the pregnancy hormones. It took a little
while to get back to normal. And emotionally it has been a journey. I went from
mother’s day thinking I was pregnant to Father’s day just recovering from
surgery.
A very sweet
friend sent me a book called, “Gone Too Soon.” This book has provided some
great support to me—support that I didn’t even know that I needed. At first I
was trying to be very strong and focus on the logical reasons why it was a
blessing that it was sooner than later, etc. I was feeling so much peace during
such a big disappointment.
I kept
telling myself this is just an expensive inconvenience and that it happens all
the time. And by the way, who knew that having the procedure done would cost
just as much as having a baby. Definitely just adding insult to injury.
But as I
kept reading the book my barriers were able to come down and my perspective was
changing. She says, “Now I can concentrate on the simple beauty of its
life and the good that has come out of that experience.”
The other
blessing was the love that people poured out to us. The RS president watched
the girls for me for my appointment, people brought us food, and thoughtful
messages were sent.
During this same time I started watching the series, "call the midwife." When I saw it at the library I thought it would be interesting and could watch it while staining cabinets. Oddly enough this show was also very healing for me. It was a constant reminder of the miracle of life, Heavenly Father's love, and how time heals.
It’s strange
to think all this has really happened. It almost seems like a dream. But, with
the Lord’s help we can do hard things! We can stand up and face the day with
courage and a smile.
A week and a
half after my surgery my sweet grandfather passed away. A few days later the
girls and I were on an airplane headed to SLC. I will post about this adventure
soon.
So June/July was a very interesting time for our family. Shaun has been working every
extra minute he has on the house. We seem so close- yet so far away from
finishing. We gave the station our 30 day notice though. We have to be out by
August 17th. We will not have everything done at that point but it
will be done enough to be safe for the girls.
The future
is bright and we are looking forward to what the Lord has in store for our
family!

2 comments:
Oh Nicolette! Sorry to hear about this. Sending you and your family hugs from far away. XOXOXO
This make my heart so sad for you. You have always been such a good example of being so positive in situations like this. I'm so grateful for you example.
Post a Comment