Saturday, December 31, 2011

Getting smart with smartphones


If you haven't figured it out already, I love finding deals. There's something exhilaration about making your preciously-earned money stretch as far as possible.
Nicolette and I have been using "dumb" phones forever, because we got really cheap phone service by sticking with these phones and we didn't get stuck in a contract.
Well, thanks to technology, smartphones are actually now cheaper than "dumb" phones. Nicolette and I currently pay $80 total for both of our phone plans on our dumb phones. For Christmas, we both got iPhone's (the 3G S version) on great deals from ebay. We are able to use the WiFi connection to make as many phone calls and text messages as we would like for free. As long as there is WiFi, we can make a free phone call.
I know what you're thinking, "what if you're stranded somewhere without WiFi? Well, for $10 we get what I call 100 emergency minutes (from Pure TalkUSA) for the month that roll over it we don't use them. Nicolette and I are around WiFi signals almost all of time so this works out very well for our situation 
A second line is only $5. So technically it would only cost $15 for both of us and we would save $65 a month or $780 a year!
All you need is the following:
1. an iPhone that uses a SIM card (like an AT&T phone; it does not need to be unlocked) that supports iOS4 or above
2. a Google voice number
3. Talkatone app installed
So far, it's been working great.
Start 2012 off right by getting out of your lousy, stinking, wallet-robbing contract and use that hard-earned cash on something worth while. It will only take a few months to pay back the break-the-contract-fee and the cost of the phone (unless you already have one).

4 comments:

Taylor said...

are they unlocked? what provider gives you the 100 emergency minutes?

The Broderick Family Blog said...

You're phone doesn't need to be unlocked if it is from AT&T. The provider is Pure TalkUSA (puretalkusa.com)

Ben said...

I've done a lot of this same research. I too have ditched traditional rip off carrier plans for more economical options. I've read, however, that google will no longer be giving free VoIP calling in 2012 through services like talk-a-tone or gmail. Hopefully it keeps working for you. :)

You also could get a pay as you go SIM card from AT&T, load it up and pay only 10 cents a minute. Those minutes will roll over if you don't use your 100 emergency minutes. You also can buy pay as you go data packages and be able to use google maps or have "emergency" text or data needs.

The Broderick Family Blog said...

Actually, I also found that article, but Google stated that they will continue their service through 2012. (Announced by Google in Dec 2011.)
Also, you can text from puretalkusa, it's $.05 a text.