Sunday, June 5, 2011

Projects

We have been busy doing projects lately. Shaun has also been super busy writing, doing lab work, and collecting data. I have really enjoyed being out of school especially since the weather has been warmer. 

Project 1: planting the flower bed

 Ever since we moved into our place Shaun has hated the plants in our front flower bed. So this spring he designed a new plan and the work began...
One Saturday we went to almost all of the nurseries in town. And some of them we went to multiple times. With a VERY limited budget we had to find some good deals and things that would look good throughout different seasons. 

 This is the before. The hosta plants look nice and green for now, but then the sun scorches them and they get dried up, yellow leaves. They had to go! Also, the huge Yew was such an eye sore (The big, green, flat-toped shrub). 

Shaun solicited some help from fellow lab friends to get the Yew out. Apparently the roots were much deeper than expected. 

 Digging...digging 

 Pulling and pushing..I got to take the pictures. :) 

Empty place... bye bye yew and hostas! If you are wondering what we did with the Yew, we just rolled it down into the wooded area behind our house. I think it likes its new home.  

After! 
I know that you're thinking, "It looked better before you riped out all of those nice plants." but in a few months these plants will be beautiful and full! Right now you just have to imagine the potential. We'll post picture later. Plus, that new dogwood tree will be so much better and give some height to the corner of the house.


Nicolette's project: The Baby Nursery 

I didn't really like any of the crib bedding I saw, nor the price for that matter, so I decided to make my own. I am still just learning how to sew, so it took me a little while to finish this project but I am very proud of my work. 
I made the crib skirt. They are pink elephants with orange and green flowers. Then, the trim is green with white dots. Love it! 




I also made matching curtains. They definitely are not perfect but I am really pleased with how they turned out. I especially like the bows at the top.  


We found this changing table on-line for an amazing deal! I know it's not a huge deal if the baby's furniture matches but we were lucky to find it in the same wood color as the crib. It also has 2 drawers which makes it super functional.
The little bear on top is from my grandma. It says, "baby's first friend." 

We have a busy summer ahead of us with Shaun's internship at Ball Seed and getting ready for this baby. Time is flying! Only 13 weeks (give or take a week of course) of pregnancy to go. 
I will post some baby belly pictures soon! According to everyone at church today "I have just popped out there." Ü 

5 comments:

Allison and Boyd said...

I love the nursery. You are so talented! It looks adorable! We can't wait to see what the yard looks like in bloom!

Chelsie Campbell said...

Very cute bedding and curtains and changing table and crib! :) Any names yet for your little miss?

Kari said...

Way to go on the nursery, good for you! The plants look great too, you guys are busy!

Sterling and Michelle said...

Sterling was sad to not get to help with the yard work. Very impressive sewing skills. You need to tell me how you made them so I can decorate Emma's room.

Bombshell Char said...

I LOVED making everything for my baby's nursery when I was expecting Amelia. Such a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment, as well as the fun of personalization of your own style. Way to go!