Sunday, November 15, 2009

update

I wanted to give you all an update on our crazy, good lives...

About a month ago I was asked to teach a Praxis Prep Class. This is a teacher test that all teachers have to take within their first three years of teaching. There are several types of Praxis Tests but this one is based on all of the content taught from K-6. (If you haven't reviewed 6th grade math, world history, etc. in a while there are some pretty tough questions.) Luckily I don't have to know ALL of the answers. Another teacher and I present information on how to reduce testing anxiety, the teachers take a practice test and the remainder of the time we all study together. Although it has added a little stress planning for something extra I have enjoyed getting to meet more people from around the district. I only have one more class to prepare for and then I will teach the same course again in the Spring.

This year at school I am also a mentor. I have a new team of teachers (there are 7 first grade teachers total). They are such awesome teachers!! It has been a lot of work but also a really fun year. I am so grateful my mother taught me how to be organized, to plan ahead, and how to be on top of stuff. I have needed it more this year in teaching than ever before! thanks mom!

My class this year is SO cute! I have had a string of rough classes the last few years so it is so refreshing to have students who behave, love school, get along, and crack me up. I feel so blessed to be surrounded by these cuties!!

Shaun is very busy with school, TA genetics, writing papers, doing his research, and being the Elder's Quorum President. He is such a hard worker! He is so good to still make time for me and our sacred date night, too. That means SO much!

We are loving life and doing great! This weekend we broke the rule and decorated for Christmas. Usually we wait until Thanksgiving is over but not this year. I have a book club group coming over to my house on Wednesday and I wanted it to look all festive for the event...Shaun didn't argue one bit. I will post pictures soon!

4 comments:

marquita chiquita said...

Wow, you guys amaze me! You both have very full plates! Thanks for the update!

Kari said...

I'm so glad you have a good class. It makes such a difference! I'm so proud of you for being the awesome team leader you are!! I'm sure you are doing a great job helping the other teachers-- they are lucky to have a good example like you to follow!!

Laura said...

Holy cow! Thats so crazy that you are a mentor teacher this year!...and the team leader?! So you have a cohort student in your class with you? Man...I would definitely need your mentoring if I was teaching right now. I'm in the primary presidency in our ward right now (with 140 primary kids!) and so much of the el. ed. stuff has come in handy, as far as management techniques and stuff.

Anyway...your tree nad decor. look beautiful! I hope you had a nice Christmas!

Laura said...

oh, and I would LOVE it if you came to Ohio State! We found out we're staying here indefinitely and we're buying a house! Come to OHIO!!