A few months ago I remember seeing my Grandparents (both sides of the family) and thinking how old they were getting. Although they are still in pretty good health, I know their years are numbered. So I decided that I wanted to make my Grandmas a meaningful Christmas present--something they could use. I definitley did not want to get them something that would be a "nice thought" but not practical, etc. So I made them aprons.
These were not ordinary aprons but fancy double-sided aprons. My friend's mom made her several seasonal aprons several years ago and I have always loved them. I didn't have a pattern I just used one of my friend's and guessed by looking at it.
As you would imagine it was quite the process--
but definitely worth it.
Step 1: Pick the materal- I found the cutest material at JoAnns. The only problem was the day I went it was SO busy I stood in line for 45 minutes j
ust to get it cut. My grandmas are worth it.
Step 2: Use Bonnie's apron to make a pattern. The only thin paper we had in the house was wrapping paper, so Shaun suggested I cut my own pattern out of the wrapping paper. Worked like a charm...kind of. Ü
Step 3: Measure, cut, measure cut... The nice part was Shaun bought me a roller cutter. It saved me a ton of time.
Step 4: Sew. Sounds easy, maybe for a professional but it was a little difficult. The pattern uses bias tape as the finished edge. I love how it looks b
ut sewing around the corners was a little harder, espec
ially when I was trying to keep all four layers of fabric in.
Step 5: unpick/re-sew...These had to look perfect for my Grandmas so I did a lot of unpicking.
Step 6: Finish and wrap
Step 7: Give them away for Christmas! Both of my gra
ndmas were thrilled, to say the least. My Grandma Murray even called the other day to tell me how "foxy" she feels in her new Apron.
Step 8: Sigh of relief that such a big project turned out so well!
Even though I accomplished the goal of touching my Grandmas' hearts this year, the real blessing for me was to give a gift that I could rea
lly truly put my heart into.
What would this world be without such great grandmas? Mine are pretty terrific!
This is a picture of my Grandma Murray--she is modeling both sides of the Apron. (My other Grandma was not at our Christmas party this year, so she got hers a little later. )


No comments:
Post a Comment