Friday, June 15, 2012

A Traumatic experience... the allergist


I definitely was not emotionally prepared for this appointment. Thankfully Shaun was able to join me. The doctor tested Claire for wheat, dust, and penicillin. The first test was done on her back. As you can see she had to lay in this lovely flat position for 15 minutes. That may not sound like a long time but when you have something on your back that is itching and burning that is an eternity. She screamed and screamed. About five minutes into it I decided to  sing her favorite songs in the most animated voice I could (with tears streaming down my face) to distract her and hold her pacifier in her mouth. Shaun also joined in the singing. About four songs in she started to relax. The nurse asked if Shaun and I were up for hire. (Thanks Seleta for teaching me that trick of distraction) 

Well, the fun was only beginning. Her result was negative for penicillin which meant we had to do another test. This one was better and worse. It was better because she could sit up but worse because it was a similar sensation to shots...and she had to get two in each arm. This time she really screamed and I really started crying. 
I could tell she was really trying to be brave! After I nursed her she calmed down and was actually smiling. 
By the time her nap was over that afternoon she was back to her normal self. I was the one still trying to get over the trauma. I just felt so helpless. :( 

So the results...Positive to wheat and dust mites. According to the allergist there is a good chance she will grow out of the wheat allergy (HURRAY!) but not the dust allergy. In fact, every six months she has to have her blood tested to check the allergy levels. The doctor needs a baseline level so we can have something to compare to but I talked her into getting the blood work done at her 12 month appointment since they have to take blood then anyway. I was not ready to go through that if two months wouldn't make that much of a difference. So grateful my pediatric doctor told me about the blood work at her 9 month appointment. 

In the mean time we have to do our best to keep her away from flour, and flour dust. So far she is eating veggie straws and also some wheat free cookies that Shaun's co-worker let us try. Some of you mentioned some great websites with recipes. If you know of any, or have any suggestions for wheat free (infant friendly) food I would greatly appreciate it! 

3 comments:

Allison and Boyd said...

SAD! You guys are fantastic parents. She is lucky to have you guys.

I'm glad she will grow out of the wheat allergy. Clair and Boyd can be friends since Vegi straws are one of his favorites!

Amy said...

Oh man! I'm so sorry she (and you!) had to go through that. Not fun at all! I was tested for a bunch of allergies and I hated it, so I can't imagine how much worse it must be for a little baby! I hope she grows out of the wheat allergy because I'm sure it's a big pain to feed her wheat-free.

Anonymous said...

This made me cry!!! I'm so sorry you all had to go through that...I know fred meyers has a huge section of specialty foods for varies things (gluten free, organic) kind of expensive but worth looking! love you guys!!