This past month falls into the category of hard. I took Claire in at the beginning of December for her 15 month appointment. Up until this point she has been gaining about 1 pound a month. At this appointment, however, we realized that she had actually lost weight. The doctor told me that if she doesn't gain in a month that we would need to do some testing and take her to a feeding therapist.
To make a long story short I was blessed to be reconnected with a friend from high school who is currently working in Oregon as a feeding therapist. I also felt prompted to make an appointment with the pediatric dietitian in Cleveland. (The feeding clinic in Cleveland has a 3 month waiting list so this was a good place to start.
The combination of these two amazing sources of help have been amazing. My friend has provided almost mini sessions via email and has really opened my eyes to how much there really does go into eating. The the dietitian was also extremely helpful.
Unfortunately there is not a quick solution to helping Claire eat. It is a day to day process that requires a lot of patience. One day, after an incredibly frustrating day Claire had not even eaten 500 calories. Her goal is 800+. Shaun was sick with the flu and Claire had not taken a bite of anything on her plate. I cried as I sat there overwhelmed with what to do. I decided to put her in the bath tub and while watching her play I did what any girl would do, I called my mom.
After I got Claire and Shaun tucked in bed I cried some more and earnestly prayed for understanding. During the quiet time that followed my mind filled with simple thoughts from above. I knew the things that I needed to improve upon with our eating approach. They were based on what my friend and the dietitian had recommended but we very personalized for our situation.
Well, I woke up the next morning with great enthusiasm. It was going to be a great eating day at the Broderick's house. That day Claire came down with the stomach bug. This was definitely not going to help with the weight gain. :(
Still feeling overwhelmed I called my siblings and parents and asked them to fast for Claire.
The day Claire started feeling better she ate almost 700 Calories. It was a miracle. But even more than a miracle is since our big fast Claire will actually taste most of the food on her plate. New things she still usually spits out, and sometimes we have really messy meals (according to the therapist all rules at the table go out the window until later.) This is another area where patience comes in.
But I am happy to report that she has gained 1 pound in the last four weeks which is so great!
I am so grateful for the guidance and help we have received. I know that there are angels round about us helping us along.
Thank you to those who have included us in your prayers and fasts. We are definitely feeling great peace. We still have our rough days but we are making great progress. Baby steps, right.
*If you need suggestions for helping your kids eat more I am becoming quite the expert. :)
Speaking of baby...mine isn't quite looking like a baby anymore.
Love this cutie!
16 months old!
Weight 17 pounds 8 oz.
2 comments:
Go Claire for gaining weight, and go you for working so hard to make it happen! The gluten allergy would be difficult enough, but her not eating is on a whole other level. You are a wonderful mommy! Just keep taking it one day at a time!
You are amazing!!!! Having had a food allergy myself, I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for a little toddler - and for you as the feeder. So glad to hear you have been led, taught, and blessed from above - no one could be more deserving. You both are in my prayers. Love you!
Post a Comment